EdSurge | Remote | Oct 2016-Present
* Editor, reporter and podcast producer
Held various roles, including leading higher education coverage, writing news analysis pieces, editing freelancers, producing and hosting the weekly EdSurge Podcast, and helping inform strategy for this national publication covering the future of learning.
The Chronicle of Higher Education | Washington, DC | June 1995-Oct 2016
* Senior Editor, Technology (November 2011-October 2016). Lead a team of three reporters. Oversee technology blog. Write monthly news-analysis column. Produce and co-host monthly tech podcast.
* Senior Writer (November 2007-November 2011). Started monthly news-analysis column. Wrote breaking news and long-form features.
* Web Editor (October 2006-November 2007). Helped develop new online content, including blogs and podcasts. Worked with reporters to produce multimedia reports. Served as editorial lead on Web site redesign.
* Senior Editor, Technology (January 2004-December 2006). Managed a staff of five reporters and worked with interns and stringers. Assigned and edited magazine-length features and breaking news articles. Started and coordinated technology blog. Planned agenda and moderated sessions for annual technology conference for higher-education leaders.
* Senior Editor, Students (September 2002-January 2004). Coordinated coverage of student life and college admissions for print and online editions. Managed a reporter and worked with interns. Generated story ideas and edited news and feature articles. Reported and wrote articles for print and Web.
* Staff Reporter (May 1995-September 2002). Wrote news and trend stories. Developed and nurtured sources and broke news.
Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University | Cambridge, MA | Sept 2013-May 2014
* Nieman Fellow. Conduct research and take classes on journalism innovation and on the future of education.
Freelance Writer | 1994-Present
Write feature articles, profiles, and book reviews for a variety of publications. Work has appeared in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Slate, New Scientist, Minneapolis StarTribune, Fodor’s Travel Guides, and AARP the Magazine.
WBSG-TV 21 | Brunswick, GA | 1990-1991
Production Assistant. Sorted wire copy and operated studio camera for local television news broadcast. Wrote occasional copy for on-air delivery.
University of Minnesota | Minneapolis, MN | 2018-19
Adjunct Lecturer. Teach a course on news writing and reporting in the Hubbard School of Journalism for undergraduate majors.
University of Maryland Journalism School | College Park, MD | 2009-2016
Adjunct Lecturer. Teach a course on multimedia storytelling to undergraduate journalism majors.
Al-Fanar Media | Istanbul, Turkey | April 2015
Mentor. I mentored working journalists and gave talks during a training workshop for reporters covering education in the Arab world.
Harvard University Law School | Fall 2013
Teaching Fellow. I served as a teaching assistant for Charles Nesson’s “Internet & Society” course, and I co-wrote one of the case studies, titled “MOOCs and Consequences for the Future of Education MOOCs and Consequences for the Future of Education.”
Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship | College Park, MD | November 2010
Multimedia Instructor. Co-taught a week-long video and audio training for international journalists.
Video and audio editing: Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Audition, Audacity, Pro Tools
Web design: HTML, Photoshop
Publishing systems: Adobe InDesign, WordPress
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
* Harvard University Berkman Center for Internet & Society Fellow, 2013-14.
* Education Writers Association Reporting Fellowship, 2020
* National Center for Atmospheric Research Journalism Fellowship, June 2010
* Science Journalism Laureate Program, Purdue University, 2006
* Multimedia Reporting Fellowship, Western Knight Center for Specialized Journalism, 2003
* Reporting Fellowship, Foreign Correspondents Program in Finland, August 2001
* National Education Writers Association award, second place for special-interest reporting, 1998
* Computer Press Association award, runner-up for best technology coverage by a general-interest publication, 1997
Georgetown University, MA in Communication, Culture, and Technology
Princeton University, BA in English
References available upon request
Leave a Reply